Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Close Call

Today has been a postcard beautiful day.
75miles from grand prarie to morganza la.
2180mi total
I passed sugar cane and rice fields along flat back roads. Through hardwood groves and a half dozen peaceful small towns.
As I was finishing my ride along a 6mile stretch of state road, I entered a long curve in which the road was lined on both sides with hardwood forests. The speed limit was 55 and double yellow lines. There have been several unavoidable stretches of road like this that one must ride to get to the next section of back roads. Anyway, I saw a logging truck coming and started hugging the white line on my side. As the truck came by a utility truck cut across the double line to pass... he cut right in front of me without warning and I had no shoulder to vear onto and no time to react. He passed me head on doing about 80 -- I felt a wall of wind and saw but a blur of vehicle. It all happened in a blink of an eye.
I didn't have time to feel any anger or fear...
I realized that I could have been snuffed out that quickly...
Two miles later I saw a sign for Prayer Lake. And that's where I checked in...
Apparently, God doesn't want me dead yet! He must want me to finish this ride first.
Prayer lake is a paradise... Beautiful lush manicured fields and mature oaks and pecan trees....
Thank you all for your prayers.
Tonite, I return the favors.

2 comments:

pj said...

Hi Scott, I'm Ruth's cousin, Peggy. Uncle Rog was telling us about your adventure so I'm checking it out. He'd be proud of that Texas picture! LOL

pj said...

Posted my wise comment b4 I read your post. Sorry. Glad you're ok!