Saturday, October 27, 2007

Navasota to point blank, texas

65 miles today...
Today my body had some complaints - so I took things easy and knocked off early. I detoured my route to get off some of the hillier backroads without shoulders and opted for some of the flatter state roads with wider shoulders.
My right gastroc thanked me... And I have learned to appreciate motrin.
some of the tree huggers might scorn me for bypassing some of the sam houston natl forest, but I still got to see some pretty country.
It's amazing to see the transition from desert, to mountains, to arid hills, to scrub forests to lush pine forests and lakes over gentle rolling hills. It all changes so gradually... Much easier to appreciate the gradual transitions on a bike than in an auto...
Tonight I stopped early-- about two hours before sundown. I found a pretty spot behind a church and graveyard nestled behind a pasture.
I cooked up some rice and beef stew... And ate very leisurely while watching the sunset.
I thought about everyone at home that I love and felt a pain of homesickness... Sigh...
I'm a little more than 100 miles from the louisiana border. If I pushed it, I could make it there tomorrow, but I think i'll stroll easily for the next day or two...
Goodnight everyone... I'm glad you're with me!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Nono, glad you're with US! I miss you, too.