Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Dunes, Chocolate Mts and Az.

I started very early in glamis. There is nothing in glamis except dunes and a crappy convenience store. Everything they sell is literally twice the normal price. A 32oz gatorade is 3.99; a can of peaches 2.99; and a gallon of water is 4 bucks... No competition for forty miles in all directions. The poor old critter who runs the place is certainly not making millions... He was a friendly guy anyway.
I flew through the chocolate mountains ... Very interesting terrain and rolling hills. I had to stop at a border patrol checkpoint. They found no mexicans in my packs.
I stopped for lunch at palo verde. A tiny town with nothing but a saloon. it was 11:30 and all the locals were drinking beers. One old guy was asking about my trip, but he was more interested in telling me about hitchhiking across the usa in 1960. he drank three beers while telling about his travels and poker skills.
Finally, I rode past some interesting canals that served to irrigate the farmland on the eastern side of the chocolate mts ... And across the border into arizona ...
68 miles today, 260 miles so far...

2 comments:

lynnie said...

Someone has to ask, so let it be me....what if? you gotta 'go'?? while on this ride? Based on the last few pics in the desert, I'd even be brave enough to drop 'trou' right along the road. Got any good stories? Depend on me to think like a teenage boy...love lynnie

Sharon said...

YOU HID YOUR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS WELL