Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Melvin Tuggle

I met melvin east of del rio. He was pedalling west and was planning to ease north toward las vegas... And ultimately to seattle ( he started in norlfolk).
Melvin is a wiry 68 yo retired navy lifer (kinda looks like popeye ). He spent forty years in the navy. His home ship was the nimitz. He left the ship at newport news where the ship was docked and having a new reactor installed. He is expecting to meet up with the ship in seattle.
Mr. Tuggle is full of life. I am very pleased that I got to meet him on this trip. I hope I can cross paths with him again sometime. He seemed like a guy that would be worth having several beers with...

2 comments:

Robert said...

First let me say that you did not meet the same man you thought you did. Melvin Tuggle is my father, he disappeared from my life some years ago. He was never in the Navy, in fact that past you told you of is my past. I was in the Navy and on board the Nimitz, father did visit me on the ship once. I have been trying to write to my father for some years to try and establish some form of relationship with. But now that I see he is still lying I guess I wont bother. Thanks for opening my eyes.

Unknown said...

Yup! That picture is of Melvin Tuggle alright. I otta know, he's my brother. Was! I disowned him when he walked out on his family after 38 years marriage to a woman who devoted her whole life to him and their boys, one of which is Robert. He is a total lier and always has been. He was in the Army not the Navy and that was when he was young. Got out when he finished his time. The rest of his life he was a truck driver. The reason he is on that bicycle is to keep anyone from finding him so he can skip out on the support he owes his past wife who was never allowed to work so had no work history or education to find a job to support herself. But!!!! If you should see him again please let him know that she made it just fine after a couple of devestating years. She doesn't give a damn about the support anymore. She did find someone that loves her and takes very good care of her. Please let him know that we all encourage him to continue on his trek across America, and don't bother to come around any of us. And to all of you who might come across this jerk, if his lips are moving, he is lying.